Recipe Idea: Malloreddos Alla Campidanese
Malloreddos is one of the traditional pasta of Sardinia. They are traditional gnocchi with an elongated, elegant conch shape that is ridged on the outside to catch sauce.
The traditional recipe is Malloreddos alla Campidanese. The gnocchi are served with a sausage, tomato and saffron sauce and Pecorino cream. It's typical of the central and southern areas of the island.
The recipe below is traditional but slightly tweaked.
Ingredients for the sauce:
1 Red onion
400 grams of fresh sausage
4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
3 pinches of sea salt
300 grams of tomato sauce
600 grams of fresh tomatoes
1/2 of warm water with 1 sachet of saffron melted in
For the final dish
STEP 1: PREPARE THE INGREDIENTS
1. Peel the red onion and cut it in small cubes.
2. Take off the casing from the fresh sausage and cut in small pieces.
3. Cut the tomatoes in a medium size bit, season them with olive oil and organic oregano and black pepper and put them in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
STEP 2: PREPARE THE SAUCE
1. Heat the oil in a pan, add the onions and leave to brown for 2 minutes over medium heat.
2. Add the fresh sausage and let it color. Continue stirring.
3. After a few minutes of browning add the salt and then blend with 1/2 glass of warm water, in which you have dissolved the saffron.
4. Add the roasted tomatoes and the tomato sauce, bring to a boil then put the flame to the minimum and cook for 20 minutes, till you've a thick and juicy sauce.
STEP 3: COOK THE MALLOREDDOS AND SERVE
1.Bring a pot of water to a boil and throw in the pasta adding a handful of coarse sea salt.
2. In the meantime, grate the pecorino in a bowl and add a ladle of the cooking water of the pasta, then blend with a blender adding more water if necessary, and always slowly until you get a smooth and not pasty cream.
When the malloreddos are cooked, drain and immediately pour the pasta into the sauce, mix all together and serve the malloreddos with the pecorino cream on top.